He wondered, as he had many times wondered before, whether he himself was a lunatic.
Perhaps a lunatic was simply a minority of one.
” --Nineteen Eighty-Four, George Orwell

Saturday, February 6, 2010

Zotero Might be my Hero

Anyone who has done complex research knows that keeping track of your sources is a necessary, and time consuming, process.  Zotero, a relatively new Firefox add-on, could revolutionize the way students, scholars, and other professionals keep track of their online references.

Zotero's mission, as stated on it's website, is to: "help you collect, manage, and cite your research sources".  A couple clicks of the mouse and your online search is easily captured, cited, and stored for later use.  Here is a nice highlight video of Zotero's functionality.





As you can see there is great potential for students and scholars, but I immediately began to think of its application to a public library professional, who does not do the same intensive research of an academic or specialty librarian. Therefore I decided to see if Zotero could help with my daily environmental scanning.

I am currently researching--casually--different management ideas, concepts, and styles.  I decided to use Zotero to capture the online artifacts that I find. 

With only a couple of days of testing as anecdotal evidence, so far my experience has been positive.  Zotero has:
  • Eliminated keeping track of websites via a Bookmarks folder (my old method)
  • Captured PDF and other articles for later reading (no more printing and stuffing in folders)
  • Allowed me to make notes for each item as to why I found it interesting
    --this is a particularly subtly, but wonderful feature
I'll keep everyone updated as I continue to experiment, but I can already tell that Zotero has application beyond large-scale research projects.

Anyone tried Zotero?  What do you use it for, besides research?


2 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting. This blog makes me want to check Zotero out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marlana,

    Thanks for the comment. Post back after you have had a chance to look at Zotero. I would be interested on your thoughts. I think it has potential for environmental scanning and for use in work groups. I plan on posting an update on how my testing is going in a week or two.

    ReplyDelete